Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Zion' National Park

CAMPING ROUND 2

So this last weekend adventure sure was adventuresome! We started leaving Provo around 8pm and drove the 4 hours to Zion's National Park. We had 2 cars, one with the ladies and the one with the men. We ended up taking different routes and we ended up on the east side of the park at 1:30am and the boys were on the west side at the same time. With little reception we finally found each other and had no place to camp because all was full. We drove around searching local state parks and everything looking for a place to camp. Around 4am we finally decided to sleep in an LDS church parking lot. There was 6 of us total, 2 of us slept in the bed of the truck, 3 were in a gated area by the air conditioners and one slept on the grass with the sprinklers on. 




After about 2.5 hours of sleep I was woken up to sawing and drilling and pounding. There was a huge Ironman World Championship going on starting at 6am that morning. They just so happen to be biking by where we finally decided to sleep. All I could soon here was cowbells and people screaming WATER! Not the best nights sleep I have ever gotten but surely one of the most interesting.


Early Saturday morning after the race was over and we were able to drive out, we finally made it to Zion's! We quickly found a camping spot so we didn't have to suffer like the night before.



Even though we were super tired from not sleeping much we figured we would hike Angel's landing early evening when it was cooler. I was told it was the most famous hike in Zion's and that it was strenuous but I figured I could do it. Be prepared to see lots of pictures about the hike because it was one I will never forget...


It started out nice and the path was paved and we were in the shade.
Daniel pretending he fell...

The group in the shawdows
This was about the first mile...




They say that this hike should take about 4 hours and we were like why it is only 5 miles round trip. Well we made it the first 2 miles almost no problem. The last .5 mile takes about 45 minutes and I laughed at that too until I saw the path started with this chain...
Pretty much for half a mile you walk along the edge of a cliff. A lot of people don't finish the hike because it can be dangerous and very scary. Most parts it is you on a small path and cliffs down 2.000 ft on either side of you. It is not like you can cling to a wall and scoot along. You grab that chain and hold on for dear life.
That is the path up the side of the cliff. Looks steep and narrow...


So grateful for the chains or I would not have made it
BUT I DID IT! It took me a really long time but Daniel and I finally made it to meet the others.
I am going to miss Nicole when she moves away, but it gives me an excuse to visit Texas, a state I have not yet been to.
I feel very accomplished
Funny picture time (not real life)
Back down was scary because I kept feeling like I was going to slide right down and my knees were shaking a lot

Glad that's over with
Oh stinkin' switchbacks. I tried running up them but only made it up about 5 before having to walk the rest.


SCARY!
But that was me at the top


Sunday we did some easier hikes and they were just as beautiful.






The last 2 weekends have been camping so we felt like we needed church in our life a little bit so we stopped at the St. George temple for some good spiritual time. Since I knew Erika lives here now I figured I would call her up and see what the chances of her meeting me were and she did! I was so excited. We have actually talked quite a bit lately because the wedding is coming so soon!! I felt like such a bum and super dirty and she was all cute and pretty, that's how it usually is with us though :) Best friends since we were 3, college roommates, and now maid of honor! Nothing can keep us apart.



No comments:

Post a Comment