Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bryce Canyon


I have this friend that I grew up with in Pennsylvania and her name is Nicole. After high school we both ended up in Utah and I love that we live close enough that we still get to hang out. Although with my crazy life I barely get to see her. She recently broke the sad news to me that she is moving to Houston this summer, probably sooner than later. From now on I want to spend as much time as I can with her until she no longer lives 30 minutes away anymore. 

To start our awesome adventures she called me up and asked if I wanted to go down to southern Utah to Bryce Canyon. I love camping and I love southern Utah and I love Nicole so there was no way I was turning that down. We drove down Saturday afternoon, set up camp, did about a 5 mile hike I think and then hung around the campfire until late, (for me that is 10 or 11 these days). 

Sunday we got up made some pancakes for breakfast, packed up camp, drove around the park to some lookouts, and then on a 8 miles hike, that is where it gets interesting....

I bought this hat recently and I love it! Perfect time to wear it is camping :)

It started to get cold after the sun went down so we made some hot chocolate, except we forgot to bring something to put it in so I guess Gatorade bottle had to make do.



I love love love s'mores! A friend Josh who was on the trip taught me the most genius thing about s'more making and that is getting the chocolate covered graham crackers to make them with...DELICIOUS!






 Nice archway...this is where a friend Josh proposed to his girlfriend. We kept walking until we heard her scream and say "IS THIS REAL LIFE!" haha
 Nicole, Liv, Tomi, Cait, and I
 The beautiful hoodoo's
 Greensburg girls!




Stinkin' switchbacks!




If you don't know about Bryce Canyon, it is a big plateau in southern Utah. So of course our last hike the 8 miler we went on was down the plateau through pretty woods to a spring that was going to be so beautiful....really it was an ugly burned down forest to a spring that trickled out of a pipe at the end. Oh and it was pretty steep down hill the first 4 miles. What does that mean you ask?! Well the 4 miles on the way back was pretty much straight uphill. Let's just say I went at my own pace and eventually made it after 4 bottles of water. I am proud that I rarely stopped I just wanted it to end so I kept going.  It was kind of nice because I was so slow I was by myself most of the time and did a lot of thinking. Well that came after freaking out that I was lost and was going to get eaten when I entered the wilderness area!


No comments:

Post a Comment