Sunday, November 11, 2012

Random fact #5 Idlewild Flooding

When I was growing up I lived across the street from an amusement park called Idlewild and Soakzone. When we were young we had season passes and would go a lot! I loved the place. It is a children's park so it was perfect for my age growing up. When I turned 14 I spent a few weeks  working to earn money as a fundraiser for my brothers hockey. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. The next summer I turned 15 and started working some of the games in the park for a month or so. Again it was the perfect summer job that I loved. Well 7 years later I was still there working some of those same games in the park and some new ones. After 2 years in games, I worked a year in merchandise, the went back to games as a manager. I was loving working my way up the ladder! 2 years of managing before I spent 2 summers as the one and only games supervisor. For being 20 and 21 I felt very accomplished with how I worked my way up. I still enjoyed the park, I loved my 45 employes, but I hated having to deal with guest complaints and schedules! I feel as though I learned a lot about having a job, working with others, and in working for people.

One thing that I learned how to do really well was de-flooding a mini golf course. You see that was apart of the games section and it was in a lower area and the crick liked to flood a lot and when it rained the water had no where to go but sit on the course. I kept my rain boots at work because this flooding happened quite frequently. And to be honest it was the biggest pain in my butt!

The reason I write about this now is because I saw a picture of my wonderful Goofy Golf after Hurricane Sandy. I saw this picture and all I could do was simultaneously laugh and cringe because de-flooding used to give me nightmares, and this was obviously the worst I have ever seen it. This is probably at least 2 feet of water. 

(Sorry picture not available)

Good luck to those who have to clean up this mess. Trust me when I say I can empathize with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment