Sunday, April 22, 2012

Charity to ALL men

This post isn't meant for me to brag or anything just so you know upfront. Today at church we were talking about charity and in the scriptures how it is always talking about helping those who are poor and those less fortunate. Also not looking down at the beggar's, because aren't we all beggars to our Heavenly Father? (Mosiah 4:19) We talked a lot about charity and how we can always be serving and thinking of other's instead of ourselves. Sometimes that is hard to do, but it is worth it. I can attest to that. I love the feeling when I am helping people because it allows me to stop thinking of my problems or worries and just think of improving someone else's life.

As we were talking I thought back to last week when I ran to the store for Annette. I went to Harmon's to pick up some trash bags, she gave me a $5 bill to get some for her. I went to the store and I drove past a gas station and I thought I recognized a car that was parked there and as I looked at the man standing at the pump on his phone I realized it was not my friend. I parked and ran into the store bought the bags and was walking out to my car with the change in my pocket. As I was about to get into my car this man that I had seen at the gas station was walking towards me and asked if he could talk to me. I of course let him and wondered what was up. He was now with a girl and he said that they were college students, out of gas and needed to get back to Provo (about 30 miles away) and didnt have any money. They looked a little rough and I usually don't give people money because you really never know what the true story is. I told him sorry that I did not have any cash to give them and wished them luck. As I got in my car I remembered that I had $2 in change from the bags in my pocket, but I thought well it is not my money to give away. As I started my car I could not get this man off of my mind. I felt bad for him, just as I do every 'homeless" man/woman that I see on the side of the road. Since I could not shake this feeling of uneasiness inside of me, I knew that what I had to do was help a brother out and go give him my $2. It wasn't much at all but I figured it could help and if he really was lying about needing that money well then it is on him and not me because all I was doing was serving someone in need. So I drove around the parking lot like an idiot looking for this guy again, I found him and told him I had found some money for him. He looked at me amazed and explained how many people in the last 2 hours wouldn't even stop to talk to him or even consider helping. I apologized that I couldn't help more but he was so thankful that I was willing to help at all rather than shrug him off and be rude like so many others. I don't know what happened to that man and I doubt that I ever will, but driving away I knew that I had done the right thing in administering to the needy. I only wish that other's could have been more compassionate towards him and helped him as well. I realize $2 isn't much but it made all the difference in my day and in his at that moment.

As I am sitting here recalling the events from this story I think of another that has been told to me many other times in my life, now this may not be the exact story but it is my interpretation...

There was a man doing some interviews at church and the first man walked in to talk with him and the interviewer said "Tell me about Christ." So the man proceeded to say how he was born in a manger to Mary and Joseph and shepherds and wise men came to see him and deliver gifts. The interviewer said thank you, you may go. The second man comes in and the same question is asked of him. He replies that Christ taught and healed people his whole life and then died on the cross. The interviewer again said thank you, you may go. The third man walks in and when he looks at the interviewer he gets down on his knees and says Christ, my Savior I love thee. MEANING: The first 2 men knew about Christ but they never knew him well enough to recognize if they saw him. It is not something that the third man knew exactly how he would look but knew instantly from being in his presence who it was. I think of those people who ignored or shrugged off this man seeking help,  he is one of Heavenly Fathers children should we not treat him the same way we would treat our Father?

If there is one thing that I truly learned today it is relying on the spirit to help guide you in life and to extend charity towards all men, because Lord knows everyone needs a little bit of help and support. Reach out and be that support for someone even if it is dropping your extra change in the salvation army jar...cough cough mom and Nick :) I promise you will be rewarded for every good deed done in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment