Sunday, April 15, 2012

Becoming a Donor

Some of you may know that I have had some pretty traumatic experiences when it comes to donating blood. I love doing what ever I can to try and help other people and donating blood is so easy, but it makes me very sick. I have decided that I will no longer do that unless for some reason it is absolutely necessary.

Because of some recent events I have decided to be put on the bone marrow registry. I have done my research and decided that it is something else I can do to try and help. There is a chance that I will never be called or needed to help but I feel as though it is something I want to do to try and help.

There was a special young woman in my ward here in Utah who passed away on Monday. She battled cancer for 9 long months before return to live with God this week. I didn't know her very well but being as she was a member of my ward there were prayers given in her behalf many mornings and nights. I didn't know her or visit her in the hospital but from family and friends I have heard how she never lost her sense of humor or her trust in God. To me that is someone who is very inspiring. Yesterday I went to her funeral service and it was just as inspiring to me. This young woman in almost 23 years of life influenced so many people for good and focused her life on serving others. That is how I wish to live my life.

Today after church I decided to come home and read a blog that Celeste kept since finding out she was diagnosed with cancer. It was uplifting to me to hear her positive attitude as she continued to write. There are many things that I don't understand about cancer but if there was one thing I learned it was how important blood transfusions, platelets, and finding a match for bone marrow. This was what inspired me to become a donor. Celeste would have needed a bone marrow transplant and luckily in the area there were 90 matches to her.

Maybe someday I can help someone going through what Celeste did, even if it is just a tiny little bit.
Celeste Poll's blog

If anyone would like to also join it is so easy. Bone Marrow Registry
I also encourage anyone who can to donate blood and I think you can donate platelets as well.

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring Megan! It sounds like Celeste fought valiantly! Thanks for sharing. Aunt Arlene

    ReplyDelete