Saturday, February 18, 2012

Valentine's Day

This last week was Valentine's Day as everyone knows. I have spent all of my Valentine's over the last 21 years, the same...in school and classes every year. This year was no different as I am student teaching with a classroom of 24 first graders. I had a few of my student tell me that they had a valentine for me, which I thought was so sweet! But when I got to class I was not expecting what I found. I had 4 heart shaped boxes of chocolates, a chocolate bear, a bag of candy heart, a hand written note, a roll of stickers, and a bag of Lindor white chocolate truffles, plus a variety of cards and smaller candy bars and stickers. I had my own little bag that had Miss. M. on it that I had decorated and they happily filled it up with joy and excitement. I do not think I will be able to get through all of it by myself and gave some to my friends.

 All the stuff I got in my awesome bag!
NO joke this is what I got from one of my students! Half eaten chocolate.
It's the thought that counts right?! lol I love my students.

I wanted to make creative cards or something for my students and one day I was talking to my best friend ERICA on the phone and she told me about these crayons that she saw to make for valentines. I was immediately sold on the idea and started collecting old crayons from my teacher. The process did not look too complicated and it was going to be my first Pinterest craft that I tried.

Well this is what I was hoping it would look like and what I was aiming for...
The first time I totally missed the concept and thought I could use cookie cutters, and well that didn't work.

My next attempt I realized that what went wrong was the fact that I needed to use heart shaped muffin tins. I did not have any heart shaped ones so I settled with circles in a mini muffin tin. #2 mistake is that you cant use the metal kind...
They turned out like colorful blobs but I decided to use them anyway. And that is what I love about 1st graders, they thought they were the coolest things ever. Although they did not turn out as I had hoped it was still a successful Valentine's day with my 24 little valentines :)

No comments:

Post a Comment