Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Green Light Girl

No one really pays attention to how many green lights and red lights they get when they are driving...except my family. My parents are always pointing out how all they ever get are red lights and red lights and more red lights. It takes twice as long to get home and lets be honest no one likes getting red lights, too bad they are necessary. When I got my license when I was 18 I only ever drove to church and it was a 20 minutes 9 lights there and 8 lights back home. I had this way of getting all of them green when driving. At first I thought it was that I drove so slow (because I hated driving and did not ever want to, hence the permit for 2 years and forced to get my license at 18). But then I thought that I was just lucky, but then I realized that there are 2 kinds of people in the world, red light people and green light people. I think it is more like the patient and inpatient people. The patient ones don't really care that a light is red and accepts is, whereas red light people tend to get angry and it just builds with every red light they get. I really have no idea why I think this hard about meaningless things but I do occasionally. I have loved the reactions I get in the car when people are surprised that I really do get the majority of lights green, or when my roommates used to say "Megan should drive it will take less time and we will get a good place to park." That is the other thing that I am good at, getting the prime parking spots! I have to laugh that my girl Ashley Ellis is red light girl and our whole apartment knew the difference and we found it ridiculously funny.

My point for even writing about this is that since moving to Utah to student teach, I go through 14 lights on my way to school and then on my way home. I was nervous that this was going to affect how I thought of myself as a green light girl, but overall I am still lucky! I have my bad days and my timing is completely off and I get most of the red, but the thing is I always make it to school on time either way and always at the same time which is weird sometimes. My one exception has been a light that I do not get along with and that is the light on 7000 south. When I am driving to school each day there is usually a lot of traffic which is also new to me, but this light has been testing my patience.  The other day I got that light at 7000 South red 5 TIMES! Can you imagine sitting at a light and moving up ever so slightly enough to watch the light change 5 different times before finally successfully getting through it! Crazy I tell you. A few days later I sat and waited 4 different times, lets hope this is not going to be a new trend starting. I will try and keep my patience better.

 Round 4 here we come. It's a good thing I had my camera to 
keep me occupied while I sat at the light
And dad or Ashley if you are reading this you are probably laughing and thinking, "Man I am glad that I have never sat at a light for 5 rounds! Serves you right Megan!"

No comments:

Post a Comment