Saturday, January 21, 2012

To new beginnings

So 21 days into the new year of 2012 I have decided that I would like to make this blog not just for my religion classes. While I will still be posting every week for my New Testament class, I also want to make it about me. I am terrible at keeping a journal, so I am going to try another form. It won't be quite as personal as a journal of mine but I want to write about important occasions and exciting days in my life. I don't see why it would be fun for anyone else to read but you are welcome to if you want.

This will probably be one of my longer posts as I explain where I am at in life. Just 3 weeks ago I moved to South Jordan, Utah! Who would have thought a girl like me growing up in podunk town Ligonier PA would be living on the west side of the country. But hey I did just finish school up north in Rexburg, Idaho. You want to talk about cold....Rexburg is the definition of cold. So far Utah has been pretty nice for it being winter. Yesterday was sunny and 54, but today is 30's and snowing...oh well what is winter without snow.

Like I said I am here student teaching and I am at West Kearns Elementary School. It is mainly a Hispanic area and low income families. I have heard of the area and people told me it was going to be tough but I never imagined this tough! Student teaching in itself is alot of work but so are the students. I can't say much about them but I sure do pray for them each night. Luckily I know that everyone here on earth is a child of God and that He is always watching over His children. That gives me a little bit of comfort when I leave school each day. But I have to say that I LOVE the children I work with.

Since I am an Early Childhood/Special Education major I am certified to teach children from birth to age 8 and then Special Education up to age 8 as well. For my student teaching I must gain experience in both so right now I am in a first grade class and at the end of February I switch to start working in a special education classroom. That I am really excited about!!


So you are probably wondering why I have a picture of a salad?! Well I have a funny story about a salad and wanted to share it. Last night the Lingard's took everyone out to dinner at Olive Garden. There was 7 of us and it was a busy Friday night. The wait was 1.5 hours! So instead we order it to go and took our food home to eat. When you eat at the restaurant everyone knows that you get unlimited bread sticks and we did not want to be ripped off, so we made sure they knew that and we got 2 dozen :) We got out food in 20 minutes and went home to eat. We each had a huge salad to start off the meal with. I love onions so everyone that didn't want theirs, I took. It is a good thing I don''t have a man in my life cause no one wanted to smell my breath later! HAHA As I was eating my salad I had cut my onions in half to be easy to eat. I took a bite of one and got one end in my mouth and the other end......in my EYE! It was the perfect length to swing up into my eyeball as I took a bite. With that delicious salad dressing on the salad it tastes better than it feels in your eye! My eye instantly started burning so I ran to the bathroom to wash it out as the whole family was busting out laughing. I will admit it was so funny but I made sure that all my other pieces were cut up smaller.

After dinner we pilled on the new big couch downstairs and watched Abduction. It was shot in Pittsburgh so I was excited to watch it. But it did have Taylor Lautner in it, so of course vampire/werewolf jokes were made the whole time. While I enjoyed seeing that beautiful city in a motion picture I thought the movie could have been better. The plot was awesome, but the way they produced it was not my favorite. There were alot of corny jokes in the movie which provided a great laugh for all of us. It was a great relaxing Friday night after a long week at school