Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mr. Donato and the Daybreak Triathlon


There are always those teachers that inspire you to be a better person while you are in their class, and there are those that continue to inspire you throughout your life. 

I didn't decide to go to school to become a teacher until I was in high school, but it was the good influence of all the previous teachers I had had, that made it an easy decision for me.

There was...
1st Mrs. Darr and her marble jar. 
1st Mrs. Wiemar who who give me a smarties every time she saw a smile on my face and I think even today that is why I smile so much.
2nd Mrs Hyatt-Curry and her love to introduce us to different cultures
3rd Mrs. Leopold and showing me it was okay to be who you really are, because that lady had spunk!
4th Mrs. Hurt who was the most kind and gentle woman on the planet that wore the most makeup
5th Mr. Donato and his very hands on way of teaching. I think his class is where I learned to love to read. I still remember reading the BFG (big friendly giant) and the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and creating activities to go along with the books. Also his spelling crossword puzzles that I used to dominate!
6th Mrs. Horrell being another hands on teacher and giving us options as students to choose our projects and what we wanted to learn. 
7th Mrs. Potthoff, Mrs. Brighton, Mrs. Saxton- got kicked out of my first class (well the teacher kicked everyone out!) I still remember how to graph. We had the most fun homework in math that year.
8th Mr. Volgesang and Mr.Skaloda who were the most fun teachers I think I ever had!
9th-12th Mrs. Weigand, Mr. Beitel, Mrs. Washnock, Mr. Beyers, Mr. Polskena, Mrs. Bowman, Mrs. Eberhart, Ms/ Caughey, Mr. Bridge, Mr. Burd, Ms. Weiers, Mrs. Ackerman, and so many more.

Obviously each has had a lasting impact on my life for me to still remember them and what happened in their classes.  

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my dad on the phone about training for my triathlon. I was probably complaining a little bit about how hard it was going to be and that I'm not sure I can finish the whole thing. Being the great dad that he is, he told me that he believed in me and that I could do anything I set my mind to. 

Then told me a story that he read in the local paper. It happened to be about my 5th grade teacher Mr. Jeff Donato. A year ago he had heart surgery and about a month ago competed in a triathlon in Virgina and finished 3rd in his age category......did I also mention he is 62!

At first I just brushed it off because Mr. Donato has always been a very fit man. We would always see him running or biking around town. I'm pretty sure he would bike to school some mornings. I thought that something like heart surgery surely wouldn't slow him down and I'm not surprised he did so well in his race. 

But when I took some time to really think about it, I was amazed at all that he had accomplished. He is no longer a teacher, but he was my middle school teacher.
 
He taught me to love reading, and to use my imagination in learning. And even though it's been 13 years, He is still teaching me, that even if he is in better shape than I will ever be, he overcame heart surgery and still completed his triathlon, and so can I. I can overcome whatever excuses I am putting in front of me. And while I am pretty sure I won't place 3rd in my age category, I know I can finish anything I set my mind to, just like my dad was telling me. 

So, Mr. Jeff Donato, you ran the Angel's Race with your doctors name on your arm, I am going to complete my race with you on my arm. You have no idea that I read the article about you, or the impact you are having on me now, or the impact you had on me as my teacher. 

Your name on my arm will be a way to express my gratitude for you in my life. And even though you will probably never read this....thank you.

I always need some good motivation:)




4 comments:

  1. I loved your sentiments. I am glad you had teachers that had such a positive and lasting impact. I like your posters too. Good luck to you. When is the race. Maybe I will cross the street and cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Megan! A friend of ours sent your blog to us on FB. We read it together and are so touched. Getting feedback like this - for a teacher - means so much. And, it is so cool that Mr. D also inspired you to do your triathlon. That's what it is all about. Keep it going! Pam & Jeff Donato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am So happy this found you! Mr. D really touched me as I look back on my years of school. And since he did read this I also wanted to let him know I placed 3rd in my age group! It was a great accomplishment for me!

      Delete
    2. That's Awesome! Congratulations!

      Delete