Saturday, November 17, 2012

Lose one friend, lose all friends, lose yourself

That is right I just quoted a line from Boy Meets World. It is Plays with Squirrels (Eric's) manifesto!  I love that show but watching it tonight made me thinks about friends and friendship. I could sit here for the next hour and write down everyone's name that I consider or have considered a friend in the past. I am a pretty great person so it would be a long list:)

The question came to my mind, " what kind of friend am I?"

I like to think of myself as the listener. I would rather ask questions and sit back and allow someone else to talk than me. I love finding out about other people's lives and experiences they have had and trials they have overcome and grown from.  I have had all those too I just don't like to talk about them very much. But I realized that maybe some of my friends have become too comfortable with that and now they rarely ask about me or how I am, in a serious way, more than just the casual how are you. As I think to certain situations it seems like if I want to talk about my life than I have to be the one to say something, it is expected that I will not be asked but am required to talk if I want to. I think I have described it more harsh than it is, but I'm not sure of a better way of explaining it. Just make sure there is always some give and take.

Now I have not lost any friends as the title might suggest but I find it true that one friend can make such a difference in your life that it is weird/strange/awkward and so on, without them in your life. I have a particular friend that I really am not sure what I would do without this person. We grew up together best friends. We did so much together over the years. And while I don't live near her anymore, there are times I call her and can talk about anything and can come home and start exactly where we left off, like nothing has changed. I truly don't know of a more wonderful person I could be friends with.

I ask you, what kind of friend are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment