Monday, September 3, 2012

This one time there was this RODEO...

I just go back to Utah last week and my friends Clay and Kayla wanted to go to this big rodeo down in the heart of Nephi. I have wanted to go to a real rodeo for a while now and this was the perfect opportunity. Oh the adventures that came out of that night!

All during the night I kept thinking back to the night that I was in a rodeo. It was just a small little thing in Idaho, but I still rode on the back of a 900 pound steer for approximately 3 seconds. To me that is legit. But all the nerves kept returning whe. I would see someone about to leave the gate for their ride.

Our night started by leaving Orem to had down south to Nephi. About halfway there we blew a tire in Clay's car. That had never actually happened to any of us before but we all new what to do, but Clay did a great job changing the tire by himself without our help. We did offer our service but he didn't want it, so instead Kaila and I picked sunflowers that were along the side of the road. We found that very funny. Luckily where we were on the side of the road was almost to the next exit off the freeway which just so happened he had family there. He called them up and told them the situation. It was decided that if his car could make it to their house we could barrow one of their cars to go the rest of the way.

We made it to Mona where his family lived and I don't remember the whole situation but the car we took was their old Bronco. At first no one could find the keys though, but hey what do you know they were in the ignition. Later we found out why. We piled in and drove uneventfully the rest of the way. Luckily we left early enough that we were not late yet. As we parked and started to get out Clay could not get the keys out of the ignition! He tried for a few minutes and we figured that was why they had been left in the truck. There was an extra key on the ring so we took it off left a window open a bit, locked the doors and left, hoping no one would realize the key was there and steal it.

Like I said before I was really excited to watch this rodeo and I was told that they do something to open it that is really awesome. Luckily we didn't miss it because it truly was amazing. They started by singing God Bless the USA and then the national anthem. While this was going on a man had jumped out of an airplane and was carrying this huge American flag with him as he soared to the ground. He landed exactly I the middle of the arena and a ton of military men ran out grabbed the flag and spread it out across the arena. It was so cool to see and for whatever reason made me stop and think how grateful I am to live I America.

The rodeo then started and the horse racs, cattle are downs, and bull riding got on its way. Watching the pros do it made it look easy but I know how that is not true at all. Some of my favorite things to watch were the little kids ride cows, horses pulled sleds behind them and people had to try and jump on, and watching a remote control car scare bulls back into the pens.

After the rodeo was over we were walking away and I heard them announce a race for woman 18 and over to join. I hard that I an back over and jumped in the arena. They spead money of the dirt and we had to race for it. I'm just gonna say that I pushed some people down and I came out of there $1.50 richer tha whe. I went in! It was just 50 cent pieces they threw down. I still felt successful.

We the went to the fair for a bit and then to check to make sure the car was still there.
It was. We ended up making it back safely to the house, but it sure was a night to remember and full of a lot of laughing. Because really when things like that happen really all there is to do is laugh! That is my philosophy :)






No comments:

Post a Comment