Friday, June 15, 2012

What, what! It´s my birthday!!

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday...I know I have been seriously slacking on writing but there is not much time and I am tired almost all of the time. I have described a little bit what it is like down here but the real true stories are ones that are going to be hard to describe and others to understand because so many of them are better when you know the children or one of those ´´had to be there´´ moments. I do have the amazing stories of each and everyday but for the most part the routines are not becoming habitual for me and everyday is sort of seeming the same but at the same time so different.

This morning I went on a field trip with some kids from Esperanza which is in the OSSO house. We went to hippotherapy. If you don´t know what that is, it is taking disabled kids and having them ride on horses. I am not exactly sure why it is so helpful but I do know that our kids love it. We went to a military base here in Cuenca and some of the men help walk the horses around as we are on the horse with the kids. I am not a huge fan of riding horses but this was one of the best gifts I could have gotten on my birthday. I got to ride around with Christian and later Lucy. I was scared of not only myself falling off but also them. We do not sit in saddles because there would not be enough room, so we just ride bareback with a blanket on the horse. For the first little bit I was holding tight onto the children but then loosened up when I got the hang of things. The smiles on the faces of these children were one of those priceless moments in life.

I would also like to say that I have a new man in my life and his name is Roman. He is 22 I think and lives in the special needs orphanage.  We have become such good buddies and I love seeing him everyday that I can. It started when I sang the 5 little monkeys in a tree song to him. Now I sing and dance and give him high fives (more like high 4s since he wont move his thumb, he is stubborn like that). No one has seen him laugh so much as when he is with me, and I know I have a special connection with him. I also made him a bracelet yesterday for him and he loves it! I hope he wears it forever and ever!

The rest of the day I have an off to go into town and live up life!! I cannot believe I am 22 already. I am a member of a blog this lady writes for her kids and the tips she writes about are awesome! On her birthday her and her kids go around and do as many acts of service as years old they are turning. I decided to start that tradition in my life because it helps you stop thinking of yourself so much. I started this morning with giving all the girls my fruit snack smiles with little smiling quotes on them. That is 11 down and 11 more to go. It felt really good because I didn´t tell anyone I did it, but one of the girls saw me and told everyone. They were so sweet in not only telling me Happy Birthday but also in making me feel like I made their whole day from the moment they brushed their teeth. ( Everyone has a toothbrushing cup and I put them in there!) I have plans for the other 11 so hopefully I will be able to get them all done!

THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO WISHED ME A HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I feel so loved everyday to have so many wonderful people in my life! Gracias mi amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment