Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 4- Its a long one

Every Monday we do morning shift, afternoon shift, and then a night shift. I dont know if I have described shift yet but the morning shift is from 7am to 12pm, then we come home for a much needed lunch break. We get an amazing 2 hours until the afternoon shift which is from 2pm to 6pm. Normally we then come home for dinner but on Mondays and Thursdays we go to HML which is an all girls orphanage in town. The girls are all ages from 5 to 18 and maybe older but Im not sure. So we go straight from afternoon shift to HML and are there until 730. It makes for a long day but so amazing at the same time.

It was okay for me today because I had an off this morning. It means for morning shift I dont go to the orphanage but I can do whatever I want. I was planning on sleeping in but I could only sleep til 730 and then got up and got ready. 2 of the other girls that had an off were going into town so I went with them. We went around to some shops and bought some pretty great stuff! The sweet thing here is that everything is way cheap and they use American money.

2 funny stories from today. First when walking down the street guys always whistle or honk at the white American girls, but I have never heard them try and speak English before. This car full of guys shouted GOOOD MOOORNING. HOOOOW ARE YOOOOU TOOODAAAAY?! They tried so hard and it was so funny. We are not even allowed to make eye contact with the guys down here but we looked at each other and busted out laughing. I can only imagine what my Spanish sounds like when I try and talk to people. It is a no wonder everyone is laughing at me all the time.

Before going back to the house we stopped at SuperMaxi the grocery store down here. After we were done we got a cab and got in and told the cab driver our address. He didnt understand and then he looked in his rear view mirror and started laughing. He said AHHH la casa de gringas! Or translated the house of the whites.We started laughing way hard at that and nodded our head that yes we lived in the house of the whites. He taxis us around alot apparently and he knew exactly where to go. I have found out that sometimes it is difficult to find taxi drivers that know our address because for some reason out address is in some Indian language and most don´t understand what we are saying.

Then for second shift I was at the Cuenes house in Todaos. The cuenes are the little ones. There were about 8 infants that we took care of, and there are also about 8 very small babies in the house too. Lets just say that I changes alot of diapers today! They dont use cloth diapers here but they use cloth wipes that you just use for all the kids with a little water. It was hard at first trying to figure out what to do as I am being given instructions in Spanish. Sometimes I just shake my head and say si (yes) and the the nuns look at me like why am I not moving and then I ask them again what they said and they try really hard to show or explain it.

These kids are so stinkin cute I cant even handle it some days. They are always so excited to see the volunteers and when I get there they will run down the sidewalk with their arms outstretched to come hug me. That is probably one of my favorite moments waiting for them to run into my arms. I cant believe that people don´t want these adorable children and that makes me so sad. While I am here they have all my love that I can give and I know that the other volunteers are the same way!




No comments:

Post a Comment