Monday, June 11, 2012

Its all about Perspective

On Friday I was sitting in the airport waiting to fly to Atlanta and I learned a lesson or in about looking at situations from different angles. I try really hard not to judge people when I first see them but sometimes that is hard. I was sitting in the airport waiting and this little girl was running around and screaming. I started getting annoyed and was thinking how annoying she was being and I hope she is not like this on the plane. Then everything changed when she turned around and I saw her t shirt....she had on a make a wish foundation t shirt along with the rest of her family. I then started listening on bits and pieces of the conversation they were having with a pilot. This family was going away for probably the last time together. This little girl was so happy and cheerful knowing she isn´t going to live too much longer. She wasn´t wasting her life away by being sad and depressed, but living life to the fullest. I instantly felt like a complete jerk and the worst person on the earth. I then watched her the rest of the time as she laughed and joyful played with the people around her.

It´s all about perspective.

I must really need to change my heart and truly believe what just happened because after that little girl, I was again reminded of the same lesson not 5 minutes later. There was a man and his girlfriend sitting on a bench a couple rows down from me and they were all over each other, like extreme PDA. I did not want to sit there and watch that and immediately I started judging them, but at the time I was justified in that judgment because of how they were acting. About a half hour later we were boarding the plane and I was one of the last ones to get on. I looked over and there was this man with his girlfriend crying in his arms. That is when I heard him talk about leaving for boot camp and then getting shipped off over seas. He doesn´t know when he will be back or see her again. She was in tears and he was pretty close and thats when I realize that I to have a tear running down my cheek. Again I had judged them for being all over each other and some kisses and here I had no idea they were separating for who knows how long. And with that he is serving the wonderful country that I live in. I should be thanking him greatly!

It´s all about perspective.

Who am I to judge these people when I see or am with them for a few minutes out of their entire lives. I don´t know who they are, what they have gone through, or what they are going through. Now I am better at holding back and looking at the good in every person and situation before starting my harsh judgments. Its a lesson I´m glad I learned right before coming to Ecuador.

It´s all about perspective.

Try not to judge before you know someone´s whole story, or at least part of it. I would like to say I am doing so much better know, but it is still a habit that needs breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment