Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 3- Sunday Not a Day to Rest

Sundays are different down here, it is not so much a day of rest and relaxation. Every other Sunday we get to go to church for an hour. This week I got to go so next week I won´t. It was a little hard because once again I am in a foreign country and they only speak Spanish and I do not. It was still good to be there.

After church we take clothes and got straight to our morning shift at the orphanage. I was at OSSO Milagros today. The OSSO organization started there own orphanage and there are 3 houses. Most of the OSSO house is children and teenagers with special needs. The house I was in had 8 people in it. When I got there they were bathing all of them. I helped comb hair, braid hair, and put socks and shoes on.. It was a little difficult at first because some of the girls have lice and it is just not that big of a deal. At first I was really worried about getting it and then I realized that I don´t even care. Lice will not kill me and it is something that can you can get rid of. I was not going to stay away from these kids because of something like that.

After they were all showered and dressed we went to sit outside and color. I colored a picture for one of the boys and he wasn´t too fond of it, but thats okay. Then there is this boy Eddison that loves going on walks. Oh and PS almost all of the kids are in wheel chairs. But Eddison cried when he isnt being walked or when someone brings him back. He started crying so I took him on a long walk. He loves watching cars go by so we sat by the gate for a bit watching them drive by. I talked to him as we walked and told him all about me and that I love walks to. I think I figured that he likes walks so much because he is always stuck in the same place looking at the same things. I would want to walk to and feel some wind on my face. We had a really good time, and when we got back he started crying again until someone else took him for a walk.

There was another girl who helped me alot with putting on shoes and doing other things. She was laughing at me as I was trying to help doing some tasks. The ladies working were also laughing at me as we played another game of charades. We would say a word in English and then she would say it in Spanish or the other way around. What crazy times I am having down here. I think everyone thinks I am nuts around here.

The afternoon shift was spent at Azogos. It is an off site orphanage about a half hour away. There were 6 of us that went. We were there for 4 hours and just played with the kids and it was really chill. There is this one boy who loves hitting other people. He made almost everyone cry at least once if not a few different times. I held a girl while we swung to calm her down a bit after she got hit. She ended up falling asleep on me. I don´t know what it is about children falling asleep on you, but for me it is one of those tender moments in life. It was just so precious! I also held this little boy Victor who is disabled but he is also just so precious. He sat in my lap and I couldn´t help myself but I just started doing stretches with his arms and legs. He is not mobile so his body probably doesn´t get much movement like it should. I massaged his limbs while talking to him about the house and the orphanage, why I was there and about me. These kids have no idea what I am saying but sometimes it is therapeutic for me to talk it out.

Even though it didn´t feel like a normal Sunday it was probably one of the best I have ever had! What fun it is to just spend your whole day serving others!

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend as well!

1 comment: