Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 2- The Real Ecuador

I already talked about my flight to Cuenca and all the adventures that included! But now I am at the OSSO house after having to wait at the airport for a while before getting picked up. But they came for me, just like they said they would!

I was given a room on the, ready for this...the 5th floor! HAHA well actually I gues it is the 3rd floor and 2 stories of basements but still come on, at 8900 feet I am already breathing heavy walking around the streets and now to walk up a bunch of stairs everytime I go to my room, talk about exhausting! But I am on a top bunk bed and sometimes it seems pretty sketchy and may just fall over on of these days. Getting in and out of it is always an adventure of its own! But this place is great so far. There are people everywhere and systems to everything so the house runs smoothly. After going over the rules of the house I got to go on a city tour! This place is amazing! The drivers are crazy! We looked around at all these shops, Galapogos Artisan, Hippie Market, THE HIDDEN DOOR! The hidden door reminds me of Chinatown in New York City. You turn to this man and say Whats up? Then he lets you in this door and you walk up 2 flights of stairs into this room full of stuff!! It is so crazy. Although you dont bargin with these people like in New York, everything is already a great deal! This place is always crazy with people and cars. This week the town is also celebrating Corpos Cristi, which is the body of Christ. The town has food vendors and things all over town! It is a constant party here.Oh and then for lunch I had my first empinada! It was pretty dang good!

The second half of the day I was in the orphanage! Woot Woot! I went to Casas. The house is seperated into Casas and Cuenes or older and younger kids. When we got there they were having a fiesta. It was the sweetest thing. Some little girl turned 2 and her family brought her and a whole party to the orphanage for the kids to experience. They had food and games and a pinata! Our kids loved it and were so happy! I thought it was so thoughtful of the family to do that for these kids who dont have much. It was amazing the love these kids can have. They came up to me would ask my name and give me big hugs, and want to sit on my lap. I think they have been around enough to know that when a white girl walks in then we are all from the same program and we are there to play, have fun, and love them! That is exactly what we do.

After the fiesta we played chase around the yard and then bathed them and got ready for bed. It was hard when I was with Hermana Jessica because she was shouting out orders to me and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. Sometimes I would act something out to show her what I meant and and sometimes she was acting out things. I literally felt like we were playing charades or something. I was just laughing at how crazy we looked and the kids got a kick out of it too! She was trying to teach me words in Spanish too but I kind of forget them already. whoops.

From a few hours on my first shift I can already see how much these kids are going to mean to me. They are orphans for what ever reason and I want to help show them that they are still loved and they are still wonderful children!

Sorry there are no pictures yet but they will come later. And I cant even take my camera to the orphanage because of certain rules and what not but  I have a lot of the city and house.

No comments:

Post a Comment