Thursday, April 12, 2012

Oak Tree

I feel as though I finally have some time to write about graduation :)

The reason I call this the Oak Tree is because that is what I have been striving to become for 4 years. When I was a freshman the Alumni Association gave me an acorn pin, and said something like right now you are just a seed but over time you will learn and grow into an oak tree. I have done a lot of learning, made new friends, had wonderful experiences, and grown immensely during my time in Idaho. For some reason that acorn stuck with me all this time and as I got closer to graduating all I could think about was getting my oak tree pin. My diploma will come in a few weeks in the mail and that will be exciting but as I walked away from graduation night all I could think of was how I was an oak tree and ready to start a new adventure. 
 YAY! I feel like I am the only one that still has their acorn.


My family flew in on Thursday afternoon and we spent some time in Salt Lake, Temple Square, and City Creek Mall. It was an adventure but everyone was tired from a long day so we went home. We connected the Pens game to stream from the internet onto the TV and we played a few rounds of pool. We went to bed early while getting excited for the adventure we were going to have the next day.



Friday morning we got up and there was some snow on the ground, that didn't exactly make my family the happiest since PA was a lot nicer than that! It even snowed about the first 1 or 2 of the drive to Rexburg, but then it stopped and was clear just not much warmer. We crossed the border into Idaho and I congratulated my dad and brothers for entering a new state for the the first time! WELCOME TO IDAHO :) They weren't to impressed but come on it is Idaho. We hit a point where the radio station stopped working so my dad leaned over to hit the tune button and we were in just the right spot that we got to watch the radio try so hard to search for a radio station. We all laughed as it went around and around finally landing on a gospel talk radio show...we didn't keep it there for long so we plugged in the IPod.

Arriving into Rexburg I gladly pointed out everything that we passed, I think they loved the tour guide they had brought along :) We had some stops to make for me to finish last minute details and when all was good we braved into the cold and walked around campus. We started at the Kimball and walked into the MC, the wind was blowing and it was cold and I think my family was pretty much done by that time. Although I had to make the trip to the Clark. Last semester I borrowed a pair of scissors from the building and I forgot to return them. WHOOPS. They stayed in my car for 4 months and I was determined to get them back! My brothers thought I was ridiculous, but let's be honest when don't they think that about me. So I got them back and we quickly walked around which doesn't take very long. Besides we were hungry!


 I thought this is a great idea...step in a barbie box and see what beauty really is.

My mom's favorite restaurant ever is Applebee's and we just so happen to have one in Rexburg! We went for lunch and still had some time before having to get ready for graduation, so mom wanted to go to the Teton Dam Flood Museum, That is one place I can say I did not go in all 4 years of going to college, but have no fear I now have that experience behind me and it was an interesting one.
 They had a display case full of replica horses and chariots and yes this one did have a troll in it!
Funniest thing ever!


I picked up my gown from old roommates, took some pictures, and off to the celebration :) I found a lot of friends and we hung out and talked about our student teaching and other experiences while waiting to line up. The I Center was pretty full as we walked in and took our seats. We had to walk the long route with a lot of stairs, it is a good thing I practiced walking in my heels! President Clark spoke and then Elder Ballard gave a wonderful commencement speech on relying on faith and not fear. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to attend BYU-I and everything I have learned over the years. When we split up for convocations, that was where the fun began. We had a complete separate one for just education and it was relatively short. I could identify about half of the graduates and were good friends with about 12! It was awesome to see these friends again.
 Kamala, Laura, and Ashley
 Martin :) What a friend!
 MY FAMILY :)

I can say I only had a few embarrassing moments. As we were standing in line waiting for them to read my name I looked out to my family and waved! My friend leaned over and said you realize not only your family can see you but everyone else too! Hahaha yeah I forgot that but we just laughed. Then I got my DIPLOMA cover and MY OAK TREE PIN :) I was so excited I walked back to my seat and I held them both up and made a big cheesy smile for my family to see and once again blocking everyone out until I heard a soft chuckle rumble through the room. Oh well I'm okay with looking silly, it was for a good cause.


More pictures, and a long drive back to Utah to end a great day! I don't think I have grasped the concept yet of not having to ever go back to school again if I don't want to but I probably will. I cannot believe I am at this point already in my life and pictured it differently but I am happy with the way it did turn out. Now I just have to see what the next step in my life is.




No comments:

Post a Comment