Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weekend in Rexburg

This was really last weekend but I just never blogged about it even though I told Laura that I would because I love blogging, so here it is a week late.

Can I just start by saying how much I miss the college life now that I am not apart of it anymore! I love coming back to visit my crazy roommates and to just be with friends again and have that time where all we do is laugh for the entire weekend. It starts right away with the sarcastic comments and then stories from the time we have been apart.

Kamala and I wanted to see The Vow so bad so we mad plans to see it on Friday night. We were so so excited even though people had told us to not expect much. I was planning on not listening to what everyone told me and to make sure and form my own opinion, and that I did. I ended up enjoying the movie a lot! If you are planning on seeing it, it helps if you know that it is a true story. I love true stories that are made into movies because they are real life and some crazy story that actually happened. My opinion of why people did not like the movie is because it wasn't a perfect happily ever after and most of the movie is rather sad. I mean the main character can't remember her own husband and he loves her so much and is willing to do anything, even let her go if that will make her happy. I am not going to ruin anything if you haven't seen it but it is a movie that I would recommend. BEWARE: Channing Tatum wears some interesting sweaters in the movie!


Laura and I have wanted to go ice skating for awhile up here, so on Saturday night we decided to go. It had started snowing in the morning and pretty much kept going all day. We walked up the wretched hill of Rexburg to the outside rink. It was snowing pretty hard core when we got there but we wanted to skate, even though there was about 2 inches of snow on top of the ice. It took me back to the good old days of the McLaughlin skating rink in Ligonier. Shoveling off the ice just so we could skate. I have so many memories from that rink, I love that we put in the work to set it up each winter. Laura and I ended not staying too long because we were so cold and wet from the snow.



On our walk to ice skating Laura mentioned that Pond Skimming was next week. If you don't know what pond skimming is here is a quick description. At BYU-I they build a big steep hill of snow. You wear a costume of some sort. Show up on a night in February were it is normally between 10 and 20 degrees. You ski/snowboard/sled down big steep hill into a pond of water. Water is only not frozen because it is kept moving around.The goal is to make it to the end of the pond and not get wet and freeze to death. If you are crazy enough to sign up then chances are no matter what you will end up in the water. The reason I state all of this is because my freshman year I signed up for this wonderful event and it was the craziest thing I have done (until I rode a bull in a rodeo!)

 POND SKIMMING 2009
 This is the highlight video from the night that I did it. If by chance you wanted to see the awesome bump I hit that sent me flying through the air and crashing into the ground, then it is at about 13 seconds in. But look fast because it doesn't last very long. :)
 
Above: Winter 2012 Senior thinking back to my days that I was crazy enough to do this
Below: Winter 2009 I was in the pond skimming event with my friend Karlee and this other girl that I cant remember her name (whoops!) And if you are wondering we all had to wear costumes and I was recycle woman. Mainly because we believed in recycling in our apartment and had alot of bottles and things so I didnt have to buy a costume. I turned a white tshirt inside out and wrote Recycle woman, Go Green! I had a sweet water bottle crown, but on my massive bumpy ride I lost my crown forever. I think someone took it to remember me by!
 Roommates Erika and Christina

 Karlee and I


No comments:

Post a Comment