Monday, January 30, 2012

Sirens all day

I was driving to work this morning and there was a bad accident on 54th that made me take a detour to get to school. I am not good with directions but luckily it was only a few blocks and I was able to make it to school. I didn't think much about this accident until I was on my drive home.

During the day while I was supposed to be teaching math an announcement came over the load speaker. My teacher has tried training me to block them out if they are in the middle of the school day because she doesn't want to interrupt learning time. Well the words lock down caught our attention and we listened. My school was placed on lock down for about an hour today because of a robbery. It happened down the street at a Walgreen's. The man took off running in the direction of our school. From what I heard he then went missing in the area of our school, hence the lock down for our classrooms. The police did catch the man  about a block down from our school. There were police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, lights, and sirens. While this was all going down outside my teacher was taking care of the necessary protocol while I read a story. I read A Diary of a Worm, because I do enjoy that book and I could make it exciting to get the children's minds off of what was going on, because at that time we all had no idea, just that it wasn't a drill. Eventually all went back to normal and we were able to continue on with our lessons.

Then on the was home I was sitting at a light and I heard more sirens turn on and head my way. Luckily they were going to other direction. But that is when I stopped to think about all the I saw today. Way to many sirens and police for one day. I heard that I was going to be in a tough area, and it is proving to be just that. Whether it is children puking in my class one day and on lock down the next. I never know what to expect when I show up each day.

Kearns on Lock down story


No comments:

Post a Comment