Saturday, January 28, 2012

Parables


The parable of the pearl of great price. Here is the parable in Matthew 13.
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
 46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

This merchant man sacrificed all that he had for one little pearl, the pearl of great price. Why would he have given up everything for that? I think because it was everything to him. This may seem very worldly to give up everything for something small, but that is what parables do compare the gospel concepts to worldly things for the people to be able to better understand. Like it says the peal is like the kingdom of heaven, and the ultimate question is…what are we willing to sacrifice to obtain the kingdom of heaven?

I don’t know if I would be as willing as the early saints to get up and leave everything to walk across the country. But then I don’t know personally what all the persecution was like. My personal sacrifices seem nothing comparatively, but everyone is required to make them. I have given up activities on Sundays, living on the other side of the country from my family which was the hardest for me, and someday when I get married in the temple, I am going to have to do it without most of the family that I love more than anything else. I am glad that getting married is not something that has come up for me yet because I am not sure I am ready to make that sacrifice just yet. It is going to be hard, but I know I want to be married in the temple, I know I want to be the first to set that example for my children, I know I want to make covenants there, and I know that my family may not like it.

I think it is great when the Lord speaks to the people in parables, because they are easier to understand and when you interpret them they have an overall meaning, but you can also think of them in different ways depending on how you read them and personal circumstances in life.

Everyone must make sacrifices in this life, have you stopped and thought about those lately and maybe how have they changes your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment