Thursday, November 17, 2011

Peace be unto thy soul

John Corrill (1839) statement: “I have left you not because I disbelieve the Bible, for I believe in God, the Saviour, and religion the same as ever; but when I retrace our track, and view the doings of the church for six years past, I can see nothing that convinces me that God has been our leader; calculation after calculation has failed, and plan after plan has been overthrown, and our prophet seemed not to know the event till too late. If he said go up and prosper, still we did not prosper; but have labored and toiled, and waded through trials, difficulties, and temptations, of various kinds, in hope of deliverance. But no deliverance came…Where now may you look for deliverance? You may say, in God; but I say, in the exercise of common sense and that sound reason with which God has endowed you; and my advice is to follow that, in preference to those pretended visions and ​revelations which…increase your trouble, and which would bind you, soul and body, under the most intolerable yoke” (A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Chapter VI).

I believe that John was lacking in faith. He had lost his faith along the way of trials and hardships. After enduring so much he was not able to see the blessings Heavenly Father was bestowing upon the saints at this time. He looked at the bad and negative through everything. "Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." (Alma 32:21). Brother Corrill may have not been intuned with the spirit and could no longer here promptings or messages from Heavenly Father. We all have hard times in our lives and need not get to distressed with our lives and keep in mind that blessings will come someday if not immediately.

A few scriptures in the section include 121:45 let virture garnish they thoughts and your confidence shall wax strong in the presence of the Lord.
121:34 Many are called but few are choosen.
121: 46 The Holy Ghost shall be they constant companion
122:7 if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son,that all these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good.
That last scripture sums up why John Corrill should have endured. We are the Lord's children and he has done so much for us and wants us to succeed in life and gain a great reward. But we need to gain those experiences that test us and our faith and have trials that push us, but he will never give us anything that he knows we cant bear. That is the glory given here. If we trust in him he will always help us through, always. He never tells lies! We can perfectly trust him in all things that he does and says.

D&C121:7-9 This set of scriptures have had a big impact on my life and being able to apply them to myself in times of need. I change it in my scriptures to say, "Megan, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment. And if thou endure it well God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over thy foes."
Every time I read this scripture it just reminds me how much the Lord is there for me and is willing to calm my troubled soul which lately has been alot! But each time he has been there and I have faith that he always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment